Saturday, January 10, 2009

Pregnancy Hormones can cause "Vivid, Disturbing Dreams"...

It says in my 13-or-some-odd pregnancy books that the surging hormones can cause some crazy dreams. The books say that your worries about being a parent might combine with the hormones and you might have terrifying dreams about your baby...
I, on the other hand, have had some very disturbing dreams about inflicting violence on my husband. ...I'm really not sure what this means.

Dream # 1: Brenden tells me that he is going to have a big party at my parents house, during which he is planning to make my Dad be his "butler" who will have to serve drinks to all his friends...I get so angry and enraged that he is planning to do this, that I push him down on the ground and scratch "I am a fucking asshole" on his chest with a nearby stick. (I know, what the hell?)

Dream #2: I catch Brenden doing heroin and he's all like, "yeah, well too bad: you can't stop me!". I trip him and kick him in the balls repeatedly because I am so mad.

Dream #3: Brenden admits that he hasn't actually got a job, that he's just been venturing into the forest each day 5am-6pm to smoke pot with his female "dealer" who's also his best friend, and again, too bad for me...this time I grab our J. A Henckels kitchen knife and slash him on each arm just below the shoulders (not stab, just slash, like Zorro would...)

...Soooo...I'm not sure why I am so subconsciously furious at my husband, clearly manifesting in my dreams, but in everyday "real" life I feel no real rage at him (well, other than the "God! Unless you're colour-blind, which you're not, why can't you see the little green light on the dishwasher that is indicating the dishes inside it are clean and ready to be put away?"-type of usual rage)...

I've told him about my angry acts towards him during sleep (due of course, to pregnancy hormones) and he doesn't seem that concerned...but I see our J. A. Henckels kitchen knives have mysteriously disapeared from their usual spot...

Oh. Wait. They're probably in the dishwasher.

No comments: